Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Double Trouble In Double Header Against Tigers

Well, I lost the first draft of this post, as my laptop’s battery chose to die as I was about to press “publish” and by some glitch at blogspot, no draft was saved , so this post will be basically lots of observations rather than a play-by-play.
First of all, I would just like to say that Scott Podsednik is earning every penny of his salary. His performance in both of today’s games reminds me of [ this comic. ] I really do wish I had about 4 of him on the team. Honestly, no matter how hard he or Chris Getz hit the ball (Getz led off an inning with a triple and still wasn’t able to score. [ Wah-Wah. ] they won’t be able to knock themselves in. Chris Getz, in particular, is stuck before the Wise/Anderson-followed-by-Fields/Beckham platoons and that can’t be very encouraging. I remember the guys saying last year that they never tried to do too much at bat, and they trusted the guy after them would get the job done. Yeah…

Moving on, that pitcher the Tigers had for Game 1, Galarraga! Wow, tell me you didn’t want to hit the fast forward button on him… The Sox pitching was a different story. Richard was having a hard time, especially putting the “fast” in “fastball.” His pitch count got to 100 by the 5th inning, and D.J. Carrasco had to be brought in to clean up the mess. That man is magic. Scott Linebrink was brought in to close the tied game and was unable to hold the score. Josh Fields’s 8th fielding error may have single-handedly lost the game. Without the “may” part.

In Game 2, Jose Contreras was back. He made me have to eat my words. Again. He pitched 8 full innings, gave up only 1 hit, and NO runs. That guy deserves a standing ovation.

More big pitching news: Freddy Garcia (Big Game Freddy, that’s the one!) is back! He signed a minor league contract with the Sox today. He’s, of course, insurance for Contreras/Colon/Richard, but… he may end up being an asset who needs to be insured… Or maybe he’s just the 2nd step in KW getting the band back together. We’re just missing Crede, Rowand, Iguchi, Uribe, and Garland. We’ll discuss this more if it ever comes up.

BECKHAM UPDATE! BECKHAM UPDATE! Still hitless...

1 comment:

Schruender said...

I wish I had 25 kids like Podsednik too. He has been doing great things lately...