Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sox Swab the Deck

In celebration of today’s sweep of the Pirates, I have decided to incorporate some Pirate lingo into my post. If only I had picked up this little gem yesterday: “To err is human; to arrrgh is pirate.” Anyway, the Sox completed the sweep. Away. This, by the way, marks the point where the Sox are playing .500 ball on the road. Speaking of the .500 mark, the Pirates have now been pushed to 20 games under .500 on the season. And we thought the Sox were bad; they are baseball gods in comparison. I think I’ve digressed. I was going to say that this was the first time since 2005 that the Sox have swept without a home run. It’s also the first time since 2000 since the Sox have gone 5 games in a row without a home run. Let that one bake your noodle.

It was certainly an interesting game. Carlos had two doubles. Juan Pierre had a triple. Sergio Santos was a disaster. Also, in a strange turn of events, I have to say that the save today shouldn’t just go to Bobby Jenks who had a fantastically quick 9th inning, but also to Juan Pierre, thanks to his diving catch. He probably saved the game. Their combined forces made the Pirates take a caulk (that’s pirate for “take a nap”.)

Humorous notes from the series: Pirate pitchers and their strange affinity for keeping an eye on Paulie. I do understand them, though. If Konerko was to steal a base, it probably would be off the Pirates.

As for tomorrow, Floyd will be pitching against the second coming of Cy Young. Peavy is set to start on Saturday, but don’t hold him to it. Pat on the back for Buehrle for today’s performance. He picked up his 5th win. And cooled his ERA to 4.71.

On a side note, I admit that as far as White Sox blogs come, I am pretty much at the bottom of the pile. In terms of Sox media overall, I am the the old hardwood floor under the carpet that the aforementioned pile sits on. However, I will say this: It is the most frustrating thing relying on the salaried White Sox reporters. Often their Twitter updates are completely useless to the everyday fans, who just want to know what the news is on the Sox.

And speaking of news delivered to fans via Twitter: Viciedo is up for Friday, Nix DFA. (DFA= designated for assignment) This is an interesting move because… it makes no sense. But I have to say, it is somewhat comforting to have a number 24 in the dugout. This seems like the end of Nix, who is out of options. However, if he clears waivers, he’ll be around. In review: Nix had a miserable average this year, but came through with a grand slam. And 5 errors. I really don’t know what to say on this one. Here’s hoping Viciedo will be the second coming of Gordon Beckham. And perhaps will bring about the return of the term “The Cuban Pimp”.

No comments: