Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Frailty, Thy Name is Pena!

Oh, Tony Pena. If I had one word to describe you, it would be “bad.” If I had two words, they would be, “incredibly bad.”

Ask me why the Sox acquired Tony Pena. I have no clue! His ERA this year, coming to the Sox was a splendid 4.24. In 34 innings, he had allowed 53 base runners of 153 batters faced. For a reliever, this number seems terrible.

With the Sox, things worsened. His ERA climbed to 4.71. In just 21 innings, he allowed 31 of 95 batters faced to reach base.

He might have single handedly broken the record for most inherited runners scored ever with something like a 300% rate. Okay, this stat I made up myself, but it seems my research has left me confused about where to find this information. I thought baseball-reference.com was the end-all-be-all of baseball, but this one stat I’m going to have to figure out myself. One day.
I guess for every D.J. Carrasco, there is a Boone Logan. He’s improved his ERA to a mere 5.17 with the Braves.

And for every Matt Thornton, there’s a Tony Pena. Just a guy that Coop can’t fix. A young Scotch Linebrink protege, if you will.

Well, the season is in shambles, and even today’s display of power by Bacon or Alexei, or even Carl’s almost bomb (Getz hit a ball foul by a couple of feet that could’ve been a monster of a home run- for him, at least.) and overall presence on the field after an absence, what more can you do but bring in the young guys and let them have some fun?

There was a report that Daniel Hudson was called up. Furthermore, Thursday’s started against the Cubs is said to be Carlos Torres. I say turn this into spring training, bring up Jordan Danks, Dayan Viciedo, and have a good old-fashioned circus. Might as well give the die-hard fans something interesting to look at (however disastrous it may be) than give us the false hope that we may be watching a real game.

Alright, that’s all I got. Other than how sad I am after reading Garfien's latest blog post. To be honest, I’ll really miss Thome, despite his on and off hot streaks at the plate. Game 163. Need I say more?

No comments: